Friday 20 July 2012

Comics

Comixology-1293647109
So, I considered naming this post 'Comic Books' but then I changed my mind because that would make me try to decide what was a book and what wasn't. Therefore, I decided to change this one. When I read comics, I don't read them physically most of the time. I usually read them on the Comixology app on my iPod Touch. Now that I've lost my iPod Touch, I can't really do that any more so I have resorted to reading comics that I've borrowed from the library. It's the only way that I can really read comics because any comic shops that we have near me are pretty creepy.

This does kind of lead into the stigma of comic shops and comic readers in general. Creepy, unwashed dudes in basements and such. This might be partially true - after all, a stereotype is a stereotype for a reason - but it's not nearly as true as people think. Comic readers - like any other group of people - are made up of a whole bunch of different types of people. The reason that the 'Comic Book Guy' stereotype has taken over is probably because of a 'vocal minority' of readers. Most comic readers just mind their own business and read their comics but the stereotype is much more of a 'shout it from the rooftops' type. Ergo, they are more nioticed in the wide world.

Now, I mentioned Comixology before. If you don't know what it is already, hit up the link. It's basically a digital way to read your comics. They have sales all the time and the comics are really cheap so you can buy a whole heap and binge out on a complete series at a time. It's probably not healthy but it's the way I like to do things.

The things that I don't like about comics is the fact that if you want to read a superhero comic, there's literally hundreds of backissues to read. I don't mind the volume, it's the cost that I have an issue with. Even on Comixology, each issue is roughly £1, meaning that if you wanted to read 500 issues, you'd be paying close enough to £500. That's just rediculous! If I could find all of the backissues somewhere for cheap, I'd buy them and read all of them but as I haven't found anywhere specific just yet, I think that can wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment